VIDEO: Bike to Work Week in Sioux Falls celebrates active transportation
The series of events beginning Saturday highlights the benefits of biking and walking, not just to work but for daily errands and tasks.
SIOUX FALLS – Bike to Work Week is back and building.
The City of Sioux Falls, cycling advocacy groups and local bike shops are hosting a series of events to encourage active transportation, whether that’s actually riding to work or just getting out to tool around with the family.
“We are celebrating all things active transportation and mobility in the coming week,” said Fletcher Lacock, urban planner for the city.
The city and groups are in the process of rebuilding Bike to Work Week after a few down years, particularly during the Covid pandemic. The focus has shifted from primarily the downtown area to other parts of the city. And with more people working from home, it’s not just for work anymore, said Sam Trebilcock, senior planner for the city.
“Bike to work isn’t just about that destination to work,” said Trebilcock. “It’s also about your destination to go to the library to go to school or in some cases doing an errand. Those are things we need to highlight as a part of this.”
The event is supported by Falls Area Bicyclists, Spoke-n-Sport, Eriks and Sioux Falls Bicycle Company.
Here’s a list of events coming up beginning Saturday and going through next week.
Saturday, May 13
- Falls Area Bicyclists Coffee Shop Ride, 9 to 10 a.m.
- In celebration of Bike to work week, FAB will host a group ride with support from our friends at Active Generations, 2300 W. 46th St.
Monday, May 15
- Bicycle Committee Meeting, 5:30 to 7 p.m., City Center Room 110, 231 N. Dakota Ave.
- Erik’s Bike, Board and Ski Bike to Work event with complimentary coffee and bagels from 11 a.m. to noon., 3315 S. Spring Ave.
Tuesday, May 16
- Pedestrian Committee Meeting, 3 to 4 p.m., City Center Room 110, 231 N. Dakota Ave.
- Spoke-n-Sport Bike to Work event, 7:30 to 9 a.m. at the Tuthill location on South Cliff Avenue. This open shop stop is for complimentary refreshments with donuts or fruit.
Wednesday, May 17
- Active Transportation Board Meeting, 8:30 to 10 a.m., City Hall Commission Conference Room, 224 W. Ninth St.
Thursday, May 18
- Bicycle and Pedestrian Plans Open House, 4 to 6 p.m., Downtown Library, 200 N. Dakota Ave.
- Sioux Falls Bicycle Company is celebrating Bike To Work Week with a Taco Bar from noon to 1 p.m., 1740 S. Cliff Ave.
Friday, May 19
- Sioux Falls residents are encouraged to participate in Bike to Work Day.
Here is more information about the City of Sioux Falls’ pedestrian and bicycle plans
- 2021 Pedestrian Plan: www.siouxfalls.org/pedestrianplan
- Bicycle Plan: www.siouxfalls.org/bikeplan